After traveling to South Africa in the summer of 2012 and visiting a local school, a group from AISZ decided to buy school shoes for fifteen orphans at the Hundzukani Primary School. All we had to do was collect 10 euros for each child. The story even made it to a local news which you can read here.
This inspired a school-wide Service Learning theme – Access to Education for the school year 2012/13. Over the last several years, many fundraisers were held: Christmas sale, bake sales, students’ art exhibition auction, Talent-4-Giving Show, Valentine’s candy grams, etc.
Here are the projects that have been completed in the last six years: ($ is in Croatian Kuna)
- 2012-2013: Thanks to AISZ community, $3,000.00 was raised and the Hundzukani school bought 93 school chairs, three TV sets, many DVDs, 5 soccer balls and a rhino trophy to remind their students to take care of the environment and save rhinos that are greatly endangered.
- 2013 – 2014: Fundraising continued throughout the 2013/14 and added some new events: AISZ Yard Sale, Christmas decorations made by children of a local kindergarten and selling used books in the library. We raised $2,700.00 and the money was spent on building a toilet facility for the school.
- 2014-2015: That year's donation, $2,000.00 helped rebuild a two-room house for two orphaned Nyathi siblings who live with their uncle with special needs.
- 2015 – 2016: Another big success, making difference in lives of the students and teachers at the Caring Together Day Care Center in Ludlow, South Africa. With our $1,500 the parents and the Ludlow community managed to build proper toilets for the little ones.
- 2017-2018: We raised nearly $5,000 which will go toward building an additional classroom at the Caring Together Day Care Center in Ludlow Village, South Africa.
Thank you, AISZ and stay tuned! Because we can!
Jacqueline, Nela and friends